Thursday, August 14, 2008

14. The Night Room


The Night Room. E.M. Goldman. 1995, New York, New York. Peguin Books


Annotation: A group of high school juniors get chosen to be guinea pigs with an experiemental computer program, Argus. This program lets them see what their 10 year reunion will be like.


Justification for Rejection. The storyline is very interesting, involving teens that go into the "Night Room" at a University and put on this helmet contraption to see their futures. They each go in separately and it is almost like hypnosis, requiring the subject to relax completely in a dark room, and then they go into this separate, lifelike, world where they are 11 years older. The visions are based on their answers in various questionnaires and their own personal experience. For example, a self conscious Joy sees herself as a beautiful movie star. They find out soon that there are dangers associated with the Argus.


I liked the idea of the book, but I did not care for the way it was set up. The narration was in third person, which can work, but in this case it was a bit confusing. I also found the story to be quite predictable and It did not hold my attention, and I would feel the same if I were a teen reader. The characters, I did not feel were developed enough. I would forget who was who in certain chapters, and I felt they could have been described in greater detail.


Genre: YA Fiction, Science Fiction

No comments: